Policy & Research Director
Nature of Work: Under the administrative direction of President and CEO, evaluates the impact of Carolina Small Business Development Fund’s (CSBDF) programs, through both quantitative and qualitative research, to support advocacy efforts with policy makers and in the public dialogue. Also serves the community through educating the internal and external communities about the impact of current and proposed legislation on the financial services community; performs related work as assigned.
Essential Job Functions:
The following duties are not intended to serve as a comprehensive list of all duties performed by all employees in this classification, only a representative summary of the primary duties and responsibilities. Incumbent(s) may not be required to perform all duties listed and may be required to perform additional, position-specific duties.
- Prepares research reports, briefs, fact sheets, blogs and other publications showing the impact of CSBDF and provides policy recommendations.
- Coordinates with researchers from universities, policy organizations, and think tanks on research reports.
- Collaborates with policy advocates to further the interests of small businesses, economic development, CSBDF, and its partners.
- Researches academic and third party trends in the study of small businesses and community economic development.
- Acts as an analytical resource for staff, and prepares educational materials for staff education on policy issues, legislative issues, and compliance procedures.
- Administers surveys of CSBDF borrowers.
- Manages collection, maintenance, and quality control of data on the impact of CSBDF’s programs.
- Provides support for Development by supplying data and analysis to further CSBDF’s funding initiatives and grant compliance programs.
- Provide data and analysis to Marketing & Communications to best illustrate CSBDF’s story.
- Manages internal key performance indicators and provides analysis for staff review and strategic planning.
- Facilitates staff retreats and strategic planning sessions.
- Performs related duties as assigned.
Training and Experience:
Master’s degree in public policy, statistics/mathematics, economics, urban planning, or related field, AND five (5) or more years of relevant professional experience including direct experience in applied research, quantitative analysis including advanced Microsoft Office (MS Excel and MS Access) and SAS/SPSS programming skills; OR an equivalent combination of training and experience.
Possession of a valid North Carolina driver’s license.
Required Knowledge of:
- The CDFI Industry and CSBDF organization, strategic intent, operations, policies and procedures.
- Research methods and statistics.
- Survey methodology, quantitative and qualitative data analysis.
- Knowledge and understanding of federal and state laws and regulatory agencies that govern and/or provide funding to banks, CDFIs, and the non-profit sector
- Microsoft Office (MS Excel and MS Access) and SAS/SPSS programming.
- Project management
- Impact measurement
Required Skill in:
- Understanding and applying research principles, standards and procedures, statistics and survey methodologies and applicable Federal and state rules and regulations relating to CDFIs.
- Collecting, analyzing and interpreting factual information.
- Independently pursuing hypothesis to discoveries.
- Strong proficiency in Excel and PowerPoint with the talent for the visual display of quantitative information.
- Organizing, assessing and prioritizing multiple tasks, projects and demands with strong attention to detail and willingness to go above and beyond to get the job done.
- Communications: verbal, written and especially presentation including the ability to simplify complex analysis into meaningful presentations and action steps.
- Flexibility, resourcefulness, and the ability to thrive in a dynamic, fast-paced environment with changing priorities and timelines.
- Working independently and as a part of team both cross departmentally and functionally.
- Maintaining excellent communication and coordination with staff, Board members, partners, and other stakeholders.
For more information, please email email@example.com.